Almost every time you sit comfortably to enjoy your snack, your cat comes to you, coils around your legs, and asks for a treat. You might want to give it all to your fluffy friend, but deep down, you know it might be unhealthy.
However, several human foods are perfectly safe for your cats. In this article, I’ll tell you about the best human foods you can give your cat. You might not want to overfeed them even if the foods are healthy.
Salmon is a good source of omega-3 fatty acids and protein. It is also delicious, and most cats love it. As per the doctors, you should always give properly cooked salmon to your cat. It keeps your cat’s joints, eyesight, and brain healthier. It also helps a lot of cats with kidney disease and arthritis.
You can add more fiber to your cat’s diet if you catch it chewing on houseplants. However, avoid using lush leaves because they usually have toxic pesticides on top of them. You can replace them with steamed vegetables like broccoli, squash, carrots, peas, cucumber, and more.
Veggies offer water, vitamins, and fiber. Almost every cat hate eating veggies, so it is not uncommon if your cat also refuses to eat them. You can try to trick your cat by mixing veggies with its favorite treat.
Eggs are one of the best foods for iron, protein, amino acids, and minerals. You can add boiled or cooked eggs to your cat’s diet. However, you can avoid adding raw eggs to your cat’s diet. Feeding raw eggs to your cat can increase the risk of E. coli and salmonella. You might also need to scramble eggs before feeding them to your cat.
Cats are carnivores, so meat should be their primary element of the diet. Dogs can have a good life on different foods, but cats need meat. According to vets, cats do not digest fibrous foods as easily as dogs. Cats also do not prefer a lot of variety in their foods.
Meat, chicken, and fishes are essential for them. You only want to feed thoroughly cooked chicken to your cat. You can also feed them cat foods that contain a good amount of chicken. You should also remove its bones and skin before feeding it to your cat. You can give any meat like duck, chicken, and turkey.
Human Foods to avoid feeding your cat
You should also know what not to feed your cat with the best foods for your cat. Here is a list of human foods that vets do not recommend for your cats.
1) You do not want to give dairy products to your cats like milk, yogurts, and cheese. Cats are lactose intolerant. In most cases, they do not have the lactase enzyme that digests lactose.
2) I always wondered can cats eat ice cream? I studied this topic, and here is what I found. Yes, they can eat ice cream, but you should only give them a small amount once in a while. There are several reasons for this. Cats are lactose intolerant, and ice cream can cause Diabetes, brain freeze, Diarrhea, etc.
3) Chocolates are toxic for your cats, and you should never feed them to your cat. Dark chocolates are one of the worst things you can give your cat.
4) You should also avoid giving caffeine products like tea and coffee.
5) Any food with even a small account of alcohol is very unhealthy for your cat and can cause severe damage.
You can not compare a cat’s diet to a dog’s. Dogs digest almost anything because they are omnivorous. Cats are carnivorous and need a special diet. You can not expect them to be healthy by feeding them foods like milk, raw bread, peanut butter, etc.
One of the best pieces of advice that a vet gave me was that you should avoid feeding raw foods to your cat. You can put packed cat food in their diet without cooking if it says so.